Obtaining Your Federal Firearms License - Title II Weapons and the National Firearms Act

Obtaining Your Federal Firearms License - Title II Weapons and the National Firearms Act

On the journey to obtaining your Federal Firearms License, (FFL), you'll undoubtedly run across numerous acronyms, confusing definitions, and simply plain dense legalese. It's not, though at first glance, the work of obtaining an FFL might appear insurmountable. Don't let this be a deterrent. Once you get to know the terminology and basic ideas behind them, getting a license becomes easier, as cryptic since these regulations seem. Knowing that, let's talk about the NFA and the sorts of weapons included in it. FFL Transfer

When dealing with firearms, you'll often run across the phrase NFA firearms or NFA weapons. It stands for the National Firearms Act and it is a law which was enacted in 1934. Not only does this law call for the mandatory registration of all Title II weapons, it will require that an excise tax be paid in the manufacture and sale or transfer of these weapons. Another essential component of this law is it requires that any transfer of title II weapons across state lines will be reported for the Department of Justice.

So, what are Title II weapons you may ask? Well, in the eyes of the government, there are two varieties of weapons--Title I and Title II. Title I weapons are primarilyrifles and shotguns, and handguns. Title II weapons are machine guns, silencers, short barreled shotguns, short barreled rifles, and the every other weapon category, (AOW). They're often called class 3 weapons. That is one common misconception regarding Title II weapons. This can be wrong, there is no class 3 weapon. class 3 means the class 3 SOT, a special class of license that's needed to become a dealer of NFA firearms. Gun Store Aurora, CO

Now you know slightly concerning the NFA, and the two kinds of weapons, let's look a bit closer at the Title II weapons which can be protected by the NFA.

Machine gun--This really is any gun with the ability to discharge multiple cartridge from a single trigger pull. Also included in this category are definitely the parts that make up a machine gun.

Short barreled shotgun, (SBS)--This can include any smooth bore shotgun with a barrel duration of less than 18" or an overall period of less than 26"

Short barreled rifle, (SBR)--Similar to the Short barreled shotgun, the short barreled rifle is any rifled bore firearm which includes a general duration of less than 26", or perhaps an overall barrel duration of less than 16".

Silencers--These include any devices or parts that can silence, muffle, or disguise the noise of any portable firearm.

Destructive Device, (DD)--This category encompasses two separate classes. The first covers grenades or explosive devices, poison gas weapons, or bombs and incendiary devices. The 2nd class covers large bore, non-sporting firearms. By definition anything that's not employed for sporting with a bore over 1/2" falls under this class.

Some other Weapons (AOW)--This category is for weapons and parts that don't fit another categories. It covers any shoulder fired weapon with a barrel length between 12"-18". These may be either smooth or rifled bore. It also covers smooth bore pistols, cane guns, and pen guns.

This is just a general overview and really should by no means be considered as definitive. If you're uncertain or need specific answers, check directly with the Bureau of Alcohol,Firearms and Tobacco, and Explosives. Their technology branch can definitively answer any questions.